Tips for Easier Senior Downsizing
Downsizing can feel like a relief when you’re ready for a stress-free retirement. But getting there can be challenging. Check out these resources for easier senior downsizing.
Step 1: Tackle Smart Decluttering
Letting go of a lifetime full of belongings can be challenging not just physically, but emotionally, too. Try these tips for less stressful decluttering.
● Start decluttering one room at a time, starting with the areas you spend the least time in.
● Stock up on lots of boxes — ideally free ones — so you can pack up as you declutter.
● Give yourself time to detach from emotionally charged possessions.
● Determine whether it’s worth keeping items that might wind up sitting in storage.
Step 2: Start Property Shopping
Finding your new home is the exciting part of downsizing. Still, it can involve some trials and unexpected speedbumps. Try these tips for shopping for your new place.
● Outline your retirement living budget, including household expenses.
● If you’re a veteran, learn about current VA mortgage rates for purchasing a new home.
● Explore possible neighborhoods online before heading out to see homes in person.
Step 3: Make a Seamless Move
Moving logistics can be tiring but planning ahead can help you enjoy a seamless move. Try these moving day hacks to get things done quicker and more efficiently.
● Make a packing list and establish an orderly process to keep chaos to a minimum.
● Hire the skilled and experienced moving professionals at L&J Transportation Companies to avoid straining yourself.
● Prioritize getting bigger and heavier items into your moving truck or van first (add notes or tags).
● If you have high-value items in your home, consider purchasing moving insurance.
● Set up your utilities ahead of time and research the coverage area and download speeds of internet providers in your area—keep in mind that fiber optic service is considerably faster than DSL service.
Downsizing for a move can involve a lot of effort, but it also reaps significant rewards. Once your current home is cleared out and packed up, it’s time to move on to your next retirement adventure. If you’re ready to start searching for a new home, find a realtor who can help you choose the perfect place!